Tuesday, March 13, 2007
Descent
So, where to begin? The choking sensation? The fear? The knowing? The biopsy? The MRI? The surgery consult?! What began in December 2006 has continued into 2007 with a diagnosis of papillary cancer. I have already lost track of how many people have told me that this is the best cancer to get. Now, just to be clear, I don't think any cancer is good but this one has extremely good statistics to go with it. Now that it has been a whole month and I have sat with this and researched it almost non-stop, I am finally getting some sense of what is happening to me. I have my surgery five weeks from today. Instead of the nice tidy thyroidectomy, I will have the extended neck dissection up to my left ear to take out lymph nodes as well. Why me? That is my tired response to this! I actually owe my initial worry to someone else whose cancer is far worse, much more advanced, much scarier. I don't like using other people's misfortunes to make me feel better about mine but his cancer was what made me go to the doctor in the first place. I have a whole new appreciation for my body and what little trouble it has been to me all these years. I feel like I am stepping off the moving walkway and am moving backwards into some weird world of medicine and surgery. Descending into what, I don't know. If I can work my mind the right way, I can look at this as some sort of adventure or endurance game. Mostly it's the awful feeling that I am looking at the seed of my mortality and wondering how big is the bloom going to get.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment